Industrial Designer

Blog

Buy It Broken: Volvo Update

Yes, it Drives. No, it Doesn't do Burnouts. (Very Well)

Well I guess I’m long overdue for a Volvo, or Vo’ as I’ve been calling it, update. Through the last two months I have been able to accomplish a lot on the car, and I have set a couple of deadlines for myself.  I would like to have the car, we’ll say, “palatable” by the time graduation comes along in May. This is intentional as to keep my expectations low, that way I’m guaranteed to meet them. I’d like to have the car in drive-able enough condition for some summer Finger Lakes cruising.

Since we last left off I had just received the car and it had been parked in the garage for a couple of months. A handful of things had to be done before I would even consider registering it. One, I had to figure out where the hell the knocking sound was coming from and how-to or if I could stop it. Two, I had to figure out if the rest of the car was mechanically sound. Finally, I wanted to make sure it would pass inspection.

I am currently making a video of the “knock-fix” so lets just say, no it wasn’t a rod bearing, yes I fixed it, and boy did it suck to do. Video will be posted soon.

*hopefully*

So lets start at the beginning. Enormous fuel leak!

Split Hose.

Split Hose.

Yes, after months of being on jack stands, the first start up of the car split a fuel hose near the in-tank fuel pump causing a massive fuel leak. But due to extraneous apartment circumstances the car ended up getting parked outside anyway. Which lead to no other than…

 Impound!

Paying to get my car back.

Paying to get my car back.

That’s right ladies and gents, this bad boy was impounded the from my apartment complex. Moral of the story, do not park unregistered car’s anywhere but your garage.  No duh, huh?

Moving on. I was able to get the car back and towed to my job, where I was able to do some further inspections on the car. Turns out my gem was in better shape than I thought.

I was able to replace the leaking gas line with something a little more high pressure, but that did not fix the fact that the gas tank was filled with about 10 gallons of what I can only assume is 4-year-old gasoline.  However after some octane booster and a couple controlled slides in the snow, the gas was mostly taken care of…

Controlled. Always.

Controlled. Always.

The brakes, albeit rusty, were in decent condition. PO must have recently slapped some pads as the rotors were toast but the pads were still in decent shape, so in true Turbobricks fashion I’m leavin' em.

Crusty and Rusty.

Crusty and Rusty.

Thus began Stage Zero, any Turbobrickers reading this will know exactly what I mean, but for everyone else it’s essentially the parts you to replace on a Redblock motor to guarantee it keeps ticking for years to come. FCP Euro to the rescue.

Spark Plugs

Cap and Rotor

Alternator Belt

Power Steering Belt

Transmission Mount

Oil Cap Gasket

Exhaust Hangers

About 100 bucks later and we have ourselves a half decent mode of transportation. Well, until the window fell down while I was driving, but that’s for another blog post…

So now without further ado, we have a registered, inspected, and half decent Volvo 740 Turbo.

Expect more updates to come, and hopefully more frequently, but for now I leave you with a couple of beauty shots after a quick detail.

Daniel TurnerComment